...Blizzard watch in effect from Monday evening through late Tuesday night...
The National Weather Service in Taunton has issued a blizzard watch...which is in effect from Monday evening through late Tuesday night.
* Locations...eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
* Hazard types...heavy snow...strong winds and blizzard conditions. Considerable blowing and drifting snow.
* Accumulations...snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches.
* Timing...the worst of the storm will be Monday night through Tuesday afternoon.
* Impacts...heavy snow and strong winds will result in the potential for blizzard conditions with near zero visibility. Along the southeast New England coast...the snow may be wet enough to result in some downed tree limbs and power outages. Travel may become impossible and life threatening across the entire region. This has the potential to be a historic storm.
* Winds...north 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph.
* Temperatures...in the lower 20s.
* Visibilities...one quarter mile or less at times.
A blizzard watch means there is a potential for considerable falling and/or blowing snow with sustained winds or frequent gusts over 35 mph and visibilities below 1/4 mile for at least 3 hours. Whiteout conditions will be possible...making travel very dangerous. Be prepared to alter any travel plans.